Medela Freestyle Hands-Free Breast Pump
The Medela Freestyle Hands-Free breast pump is a hands-free double electric pump that allows for true mobility and freedom and whose design was inspired by pumping moms.
The Medela Freestyle pump, like all Medela breast pumps, comes with Medela’s 2 Phase Expression Technology that starts off with the Stimulation Phase, a fast but light sucking to help stimulate let down, followed by the Expression Phase, slow and strong sucking to express the milk quickly. Both these phases mimic a baby’s natural nursing pattern.
All plastic parts in this pump are BPA Free.
- Most users report pumping almost an ounce per minute!
- Love the hands free option
- Hands free option hard to figure out
- Only works if put together absolutely perfectly
- parts cannot be cleaned in micro-steam bags
- many women prefer the Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump which they think is a better pump
Features and Benefits Of The FreeStyle Breast Pump
- Daily use · double pump · electric
- True pumping mobility with hands-free option.
- Rechargeable battery and ultra-lightweight motor. Optional 12V vehicle lighter adapter available.
- Easy interaction with digital display, memory, timer and backlight.
- More milk in less time with 2-Phase Expression® technology when pumping at Maximum Comfort Vacuum™.
- Everything mom needs in a convenient bag – perfect for active moms.
- Use hands-free with most top-flap nursing bras including Medela nursing bras and camisoles.
- Double pumping kit features SoftFit™ breastshields for massaging comfort.
- IMPORTANT:This product is a single user item. Use by more than one user may pose a health risk, performance questions, and voids the warranty.
- All parts that come into contact with breastmilk are BPA/DEHP Free.
- Attractive tote bag
- Hands-Free Kit
2 bra adapters
- 2 replacement bra adapters – universal
- 2 replacement bra adapters – hook & eye
- Support belt & extension
- 2 – 24 mm SoftFit™ breastshields
- Breastshield Spare Parts Kit: 2 breastshield bodies; 2 membranes; 2 back caps
- 1 set of tubing
- 4 – 5 oz Medela bottles, lids & travel cap
- Wide base slow flow nipple
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Power cord & charger
- Contoured ice pack
- Removable cooler carrier
- Instructions & quick start card
- Breastfeeding Information Guide
Medela Freestyle Breast Pump User Reviews
The Medela Freestyle Hands-Free Breast Pump has received a rating of 4 out 5 stars from reviewers at diapers.com, babysrus.com, amazon.com and target.com.
Overall users are very pleased with the Medela Freestyle Breast Pump saying it is easy, quiet, lightweight and portable. You can even fit this pump in most purses and the pump allows a long life for batteries. Most women say they can pump efficiently with this pump and express a large amount of milk in a short amount of time. The average seems to be about 8oz of milk pumped in 10 minutes—almost an ounce a minute! Users also love the hands-free feature saying it is great not to have to sit stationary every time they pump. However, many do point out that getting the hang of the hands-free option can be complicated, but once you master this feature the pump is “fabulous”.
Medela Freestyle Breast Pump Negatives
There are also a few negative reviews for the Medela Freestyle breast pump. The main complaint is that the hands-free feature of the pump is too hard to figure out and in order for the pump’s suction to work right you have to assemble the pump perfectly. Users are also upset that the Freestyle Pump’s parts cannot be sterilized in micro-steam bags because the pieces of the pump will warp. A few women complained that the pump lost suction too quickly (but this happens to a few users with every brand and make of breast pump).
However, I did hear from several reviewers that the Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump is better than the Freestyle pump. Many users of the Medela Pump In Style Advanced Pump decided it would be fun to try the Freestyle breast pump due to its hands-free feature. However, most of these former Pump In Style users say they prefer the Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump and recommend that pump over the FreeStyle breast pump. This preference was repeated a lot and it is something worth thinking about if you are looking for a fast and easy to use pump for pumping several times a day.
However, women who are looking for a hands-free pump and who have the patience to master the technique of pumping without hands should consider the Medela Freestyle since it is a good, high quality pump for busy moms’ who need to keep their hands free for other tasks.